Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Greatness of Words

I remember, when I was younger my mother told me to control my anger by writing a letter.  Such a simple thing.  Write a letter expressing your anger rationally, after you have completed your letter and expelled the anger from your system, rip it up. Delete it. Throw it out. Forget about it.  Simple as that.
But no, I couldn't do that.
I could not forget.
I remember the anger in my words as I lashed out against that piece of paper.  That simple paper.  What has that paper ever done to me?
Had the loose leaf holes ever mocked me behind my back?
Had the computed paper snickered while I sniffled angrily jotting down ridiculous and completely irrational reasons to be angry?
No.
The paper was innocent, but the people weren't.
I remember after years all of the various letters I have written to quench my anger.  I believed this would make me feel better.  I also believed that it wouldn't.  I believed that these letters would not make a difference because there was no one there to read them, no one there to sympathize for me.
But I was right, and wrong.
These letters did help.
Writing these letters helped me experience the greatness of words.  These words could heal once to be thought impenetrable wounds, but words can also cause them.
It's your choice, to love or to hate, to feel or to ignore.  Choose wisely, choose now.

No comments:

Post a Comment