Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July-Family Time

Today is the glorious 4th of July.  For some, it means celebrating the many years this great country has been together and when we broke away from British rule; for others, it means a night of drinking, fireworks, and relentless shouting throughout the streets at many ungodly hours of the night.  The majority of people (or possibly the minority, I haven't witnessed much of the dark underbellies of our country) take this day as an excuse to spend time with their families, barbecuing and sharing stories of past events that occurred before their last encounter.  Some families have that crazy Aunt that never married, just sitting alone in the corner muttering to herself about the good ol' days.  Other families have the ubiquitous drunk Uncle, in my case, I have an hysterically funny Uncle who can always turn a situation into a comedy show.  Although I, myself, do not have much of the stereotypical family members, I do have something better; a loving family that I only get to see every few months!  This may upset some people, to see family members so infrequently.  I see it as a positive thing.  More time to catch up instead of awkward moments where nothing is said.  All-in-all, the 4th of July is more of a family catch-up than celebrating the countries "birthday".  With that said, Happy Birthday America!

No comments:

Post a Comment